Contouring – the once “secret” trick used by makeup artists to sculpt faces on the red carpet, brides and of course, Kim Kardashian, has moved firmly into the mainstream. When done correctly, this clever technique gives the illusion of a more angular face through the interplay of exaggerated shadows and highlights…
(For a full run down on everything you need to know about contouring for your face shape, click here.)
Needless to say, when word got out that you can slim your face, reshape your nose, create killer cheekbones (and so much more) with a few swipes of the makeup brush, it was only a matter of time before women the world over started contouring away their (perceived) flaws as part of their daily makeup routine.
Alas, with so many ways to go wrong with contouring (and soooo many disparate products in the market to choose from), finding the right shades to mix and match for your face was a veritable minefield! …Until now.
Cult beauty brand ‘Anastasia Beverly Hills’ have come to the rescue of contouring devotees everywhere via the release of their all-in-one ‘Anastasia Beverly Hills Contour Kit’. Designed to make contouring easier than ever (and practically foolproof), the kit is your one-stop-contour-shop.
Online beauty store Lulu & Lipstick recently sent me a sample kit to try for myself, and I am pleased to bring you all the findings!
Click on to read my full review of the product (you can also watch a very handy expert application video…)
- The kit contains 6 discs of contour powder which are removable and replaceable (And, I believe the brand are soon introducing 21 shades allowing you to mix and match to your needs if you are game!)
- There are three darker colours (2 for creating the shadows, plus one bronzer) and three lighter colours (2 for highlighting, one for shimmer.)
- All colours are matte – except the one shimmer colour, which provides a light glow.
- The colours are highly pigmented – a little goes a long way!
- The product is quite powdery and extremely blendable. Unlike a cream contour you can use a soft makeup brush to easily blend, blend, blend. It is easy to blend away any mistakes.
- The set contains all the colours you need to emphasise your cheekbones, nose, jawline, eyes and forehead.
- Most of the powders can double up for other uses as well. For example, you can set under eye concealer with the most yellowy highlighter colour “banana”; you can use the powders as overall face powders; and you can use the darker powders as eyeshadows etc.
- With the pale skin I have, I found it was possible to combine some of the darker shadow colours with the lighter powders to create a final tone that suited my skin perfectly (especially for the daytime).
- The package is a convenient design. It is sleek and sturdy- great for travel, although a mirror would have been an added bonus.
- Price $85 from Lulu & Lipstick
Overall, I think that this product is great for contouring beginners and makeup professionals alike. The quality of the powders are great, and the high blendability of colours for me is key. A little does go a long way, so I am sure to have this kit for a while.
For anyone interested in seeing the Anastasia Beverly Hills Contour Kit in action, this video will show you how it is applied, and the final result. A great short-cut for anyone wanting to get a grasp on contouring… Enjoy!