First we witnessed the popularisation of lilac hair, then it was berry-stained mouths that stole our attention, and now our eyes can get in on the action with purple-hued lids stacking up as one of the season’s biggest beauty trends for 2014 and beyond.
Must Read – RADIANT ORCHID: BEAUTY PRODUCTS
Eyes were awash with soft plummy tones at the recent New York and London fashion weeks, and have been spotted across the lids of dozens of celebrities including Olivia Palermo, Rhianna, Scarlett Johanssen and Kim Kardashian. Often passed over in favour of safer browns and boring greys, purple eye shadow (and all it’s variants) is hugely versatile and suits most skin tones.
According to Tom Pecheux who mastered the makeup for Derek Lam at the recent NYFW Spring 2015 RTW collections, the key to wearing any shade of purple is “keeping your foundation light and the rest of your makeup minimal to stay cool rather than kooky.” Pecheaux also advocates keeping the focus on the top half of your eyes. “If you put this colour on your lower lashes, you’ll look like you got into a big fight the night before,” said “And that’s definitely not cool or, for that matter, very pretty.”
7 more tips for working with a purple eyeshadow:
- Offset rich purple eyes with clean makeup and a nude lip
- Swap your black and brown smokey eyeshadow routine for plum and burgundy
- Smudge and blend a berry lipstick onto lids for a dewy look
- Swipe a coat of purple mascara over black for depth and interest
- Pastels and light lilacs tend to look youthful and girly
- Bold and bright shades with dense coverage can look quirky
- Dark berry tones look glamourous and moody.
Is blue more your colour? Check out FASHION WEEK BEAUTY: INTO THE BLUE
What do you think of the purple eyeshadow trend – do you think it’s here to stay… would you wear it? Let us know in the comments below!