Makeup maestro Napoleon Perdis shows us his notes for perfecting party season makeup in a flash.
1. BOLD LIP
A bold lip is great if DIY event makeup is your thing! Although it requires a little precision, a bold lip is quick and easy to apply and easy to touch-up during the night. Keep the rest of your makeup simple; apply lashings of mascara, define brows, and softly contour the cheeks. Then, swipe on your lippie before heading out the door.
- Preparation is critical to perfecting a colour popping pout; the lips are the first place to show signs of dehydration so make sure you plan ahead and increase your H2O intake before the big day.
- Hydrate and prepare the surface of the lips at least 20 minutes prior to applying your bold lips; try applying a lip loving product like Auto Pilot Lip Service generously over the entire lip.
- When applying your foundation, wash your foundation brush over your lips to create a neutralising lip base. This will also help your lippie last a little longer!
- Control movement of your lipstick and do as Napoleon Perdis does, line lips last to seal the deal and lock in your pop of colour.
2. LUMINOUS SKIN AND HIGHLIGHTING
What do all celebs have in common when walking the red carpet? Fresh, luminous skin! Nothing polishes up your look faster then adding luminosity to the skin; try using highlighters before and/or after your base to get skin glowing.
- Highlight the high points of your face for maximum impact. To find these points, look into a mirror and tilt your head back underneath a light to reveal where light would naturally reflect. For those not so makeup savvy, these areas include the top of the cheekbones, bridge of the nose, brow bone, above the arch of the brow and cupid’s bow.
- Skin is IN, so use radiant boosting products to enhance your skin to perfection. To choose the perfect shade of cream or powder, always pick a colour one to two shades lighter than your natural skin tone.
- Auto Pilot Radiance-Boosting Primer is not only great as a base for your foundation but also adds a subtle glow. Pump up the radiance by mixing in Loose Eye Dust Star Light or Ice Storm (to match your skin tone) and mould the product into the high points of your face.
- Struggling to find the perfect highlighting tool in you current treasure chest of product? Look no further than your eye shadow palettes! Light sand, beige and gold shadows are perfect skin highlighters. Choose a shade that’s lighter then your skin tone and apply to the high points of the face using a small blush brush.
3. GILDED EYES – METALLIC
For a look that’s super glam, try gilding your peepers. Metallic shadows have been a huge trend throughout the last few seasons and will instantly party-fy your look.
- To choose the perfect metallic hue for you, choose a shade similar to your skin tone. Bronze and gold suit olive complexions, while darker plums are well-suited to those of a darker complexion. Silvers and platinums are perfect for fair complexions, however most metallic hues will suit fair skin. Looking for a universal shade that everyone can pull off? Try rose gold.
- If you’re looking for a subtle metallic effect that’s easy to wear, go for a cream-based eye shadow and blend it over the eye with a soft brush for a sheer wash of colour.
- For a maximum metallic finish, mix Creme de la Creme Cream Eye Shadows with Loose Eye Dusts to create a highly pigmented sheen. Apply to the centre of your eyelid and blend out, softening through the crease.
- For a modern metallic smoky eye, blend a black or brown pencil over the whole lid and along the lower lash line, softening the edges of the colour. Next, choose your metallic hue and press over the pencil. Finish with eyeliner in the waterline and a final coat of mascara.