No, not an abstract artwork, this is a beautifully constructed (and wonderfully photographed) LENTIL TACO. Have you ever seen a taco look this a) healthy b) colourful c) stylish d) inviting? Well, maybe someone out there has (most likely a fellow Pinterest fanatic) but I was certainly captivated by the look of this dish when it graced my screen earlier today.
Being primarily a vegetarian (and no red meat, ever) I will admit is gets tricky after a while to construct meals that tick all the boxes. I know I’m breaking a couple of nutritional “rules” here, but I also keep to a very low fat diet as well. And, when you’re super-rushed and not feeling too culinarily-inspired that generally leads to eating salad. Lots of exciting salad. (*sarcasm intended*)
Be sure to check out FIVE EASY TO MAKE DELICIOUS FOOD IDEAS
So when I saw this, I needed to know how to make it. It was located via a fantastic food blog: chezus.com (so many other great easy-peasy recipes here, worth checking out)
Thankfully, whilst the recipe looks long it’s extremely straight forward and easy – just a range of basic everyday ingredients put together in an inventive way. This is right up my alley, and I’m hoping it fills in a few of the dinner blanks for you guys too!
So here it is: Lentil Tacos with Tomato Radish Salsa
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/3 cup red onion, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon serrano pepper, more or less depending on heat you like
- 1/2 lime juiced
- sprinkle of salt
- 6 medium radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups precooked black lentils
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning (or cumin-based meat seasoning should work too)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 avocado, smashed
- 1 teaspoon sour cream
- 1 teaspoon of ground smokey (mild) chilli powder
- micro greens, we have used baby kale as well as pea shoots
- corn tortillas
- In a small mixing bowl, add the tomatoes, red onion, serrano pepper, lime juice and sprinkle of salt. Stir. Set aside.
- Add the olive oil and yellow onion to a large frying pan, and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes, until soft.
- Add the lentils , taco seasoning and water. Lower heat to simmer.
- Stir and cook for 15 minutes
- In a small bowl mix the avocado, sour cream and Basque pimento together with a fork until smooth. Set aside.
- Warm the tortillas.
- Add the radishes to the tomato mixture.
- To serve, place a tortilla on a serving plate, top with lentils, micro greens, salsa and the avocado cream.
What do you think of this recipe? If you have any great tips for ideas please let us know in the comments below!