They say accessories make the outfit – and they can, especially when they are a quality piece such as a good designer handbag. If you’re looking to invest in your first designer item, our advice below will ensure you end up with a striking bag that you’ll love for years to come – not a strike out!
Generally speaking, buying your first designer handbag is a reward that we bestow upon ourselves. Perhaps you’ve landed your dream job, it’s your birthday, you’ve just completed a degree or have worked tirelessly and saved up to treat yourself. Whatever the case, make your first designer bag special and worthwhile.
You are not merely “making a purchase”, you are (ideally) investing in a piece that will transcend time. You may be thinking it’s just a bag, but for some it’s more of a personal statement. A designer bag can also be a symbol that incites happiness or represents a new chapter in your life.
1. Opting For A Classic
- Over time, our style evolves. We’ve all looked back in horror at photos of ourselves in previous years, and anyone that says they haven’t is lying! When it comes to purchasing your first designer handbag (or adding to your collection) it’s always wise to stick to classic styles and structured designs that will continue to remain chic.
- Steer clear of ‘on trend’ bags and instead opt for a staple piece. Studs and prints frequently come in and out of style, so retaining a more minimalistic approach when scouting your dream bag is the key to purchase success.
- If you’re going to be parting with a significant amount of money you want it to be worth it. Choose a classic style that is synonymous to a particular label, and ideally buy from an established brand or household name.
- Your first designer purchase doesn’t need to set a trend nor should it be an impulse buy. Your first bag should reflect your personal style and be a bag that you’ve had your eye on for some time.
2. Your Personal Style
- Knowing your personal style is integral to purchasing the right bag. Assess your wardrobe, noting the clothes you wear and particularly, the colours.
- Black is the safest option when purchasing a designer handbag. But for some, a red, navy or neutral tone bag will be the best investment.
- When picking your bag’s colour and style, consider what you want from it and how you will use it. Is it a casual everyday bag or something more formal that’s ideal for work and job interviews? Or perhaps you’ll use it for dinners and special occasions? This is where functionality comes into play. It is not practical to take your Louis Vuitton tote to a formal wedding but it’s perfect for your shopping trips and brunch dates.
- Determining the size of the bag you require ties in with the purpose of the bag. There’s no point indulging in a clutch when you’re known for carrying everything you could possibly need. On the flip side, opting for a practical smaller sized bag may see it get more use.
A Stylish Investment
- The value in a designer bag will continue to rise as long as the bag itself remains in good condition (although some wear is of course unavoidable!)
- Have you ever seen a vintage Chanel handbag for sale online? Trust us they come with hefty price tags! So know that you are not only making an investment in your own personal style and collection but one that can actually provide returns.
The Price Tag
- Lastly, purchase a bag that you can actually afford. This may sound simple enough but it is super easy to get up in the world of quality designer pieces and find yourself lusting after only high-end designs.
- You don’t want to splurge yourself into debt over a bag, so set a budget before you begin browsing – and stick to it. Unless you boast a Kardashian-style bank account less can definitely be more. When purchasing your first designer bag remember that you are shopping with quality in mind.
Our Top Picks for an Ideal Designer Handbag Investment:Prada Saffiano Tote Louis Vuitton Speedy Chanel 2.55 Givenchy Antigona Celine Luggage Tote Louis Vuitton Neverfull Tote Saint Laurent Cabas Chyc Tote Alexander Wang Rockie 3.1 Phillip Lim Pashli Chloe Paraty Tote Proenza Schouler Ps11 Mini Classic Bag
So tell us…. Have you dipped your toe in designer handbag territory? If so, what what was it, and do you still love it?