Blackheads are the worst, and they are seemingly endless in supply. Gross. The good news is, you can easily get rid of your blackheads at home, without a costly trip to the pharmacy. Better still, these fast DIY remedies only consist of one basic ingredient each (and you probably already have these common items in your kitchen and bathroom!)
Before we delve into the remedies, what exactly are blackheads anyway? These common black and yellow pests form when your pores are clogged with excess sebum. They are different to white heads because they are open, and the sebum (which becomes the plug), is black due to oxidisation.
Keep reading for 3 easy blackhead removal methods to get rid of these unwanted blemishes in a flash!
Easy DIY remedies for blackhead removal
Method #1 – Egg White Mask (Recommended if you have sensitive skin)
The only ingredient you need is an egg or two. Egg whites are a natural way to tighten your pores, which therefore reduces blackheads in the future. It will also help get rid of your current blackheads and will leave your skin glowing. Egg whites are high in vitamin A and collagen, and it is less drying and harsh to use than other remedies and facial masks that try to remove blackheads.
- To remove blackheads, separate an egg from the yolk.
- Pat your face dry, and apply a layer of egg white to your face, using a clean cloth.
- Wait till the layer dries, and apply more egg white. Optional: You may also choose to add layers of facial tissue between each layer.
- Repeat this process three to five times, letting each layer dry first.
- Once it has dried, peel off all the layers
- Wash off all residue, pat dry and moisturise.
TIP: You may also try mixing honey and egg whites together, and apply the paste onto your skin. Remember to wait until it completely dries and when your face feels tight, before washing it off. Honey has antibacterial and mild antiseptic elements, so it will also help to reduce redness and irritation.
Method #2 – Baking Soda Scrub
Baking soda is very effective in removing blackheads due to its really small and fine grains but this method should only be used sparingly as it can really dry out your skin. A baking soda paste to exfoliate will get rid of blackheads by unclogging pores.
- To make a baking soda paste, just simply add a few drops of water and mix.
- Apply the paste only to areas where there are prominent blackheads, and gently scrub in circular motions. The paste will also help dry up the blackheads.
- Rinse off all residue.
- Moisturise is a must!
TIP: This remedy will not just remove blackheads, but it will also help make your skin look brighter due to its bleaching properties.
Method #3 – Vaseline and Plastic Wrap
So…this might sound like the weirdest DIY blackhead removal remedy, but it woks effectively on awkward areas such as the nose. Use this method no more than once or twice a month.
- It is best to use this remedy after you have showered, as the heat from the water will open your pores.
- Apply a good amount of Vaseline to areas of prominent blackheads to trap the heat, and place a sheet of plastic wrap over the area.
- For about five minutes, use two warm washcloths and hold them against the plastic wrap, which will help preserve the heat.
- Then peel off the plastic, and it will now be easy to remove blackheads and grease from your pores.
- Use facial tissues wrapped around your fingers, and gently push out the blackheads from your skin.
TIP: It is important to never squeeze hard, as it can redden and damage the skin. Remember to be gentle.
Do you have any tried and tested methods to share? Let us know in the comments below!