Clean makeup brushes are not to be overlooked when it comes to your beauty routine. Not only do dirty makeup brushes make product application difficult, they can lead to clogged pores, eye and skin irritation, allergies and even breakouts!
No one wants to be brushing a few weeks’ worth of dirt and grime on their freshly cleansed faces so it’s time to come clean and show your brushes some L-O-V-E. Fleur Madden, beauty guru and founder of online beauty e-tailer Lulu and Lipstick recommends cleaning these indispensable tools weekly.
To keep your skin and brushes in top condition, she shares her step-by-step on how to clean your tools properly:
- Conditioning shampoo
- A small bowl
- A clean towel or a lint-free cloth
While you can get specially formulated brush cleaners on the market, a conditioning shampoo or baby shampoo will do the trick. Generally anything that you would use on your own hair is perfect for cleaning your makeup brushes. Note: Avoid soap as it can dry out the hair of your brushes.
1. Run brush under lukewarm water to rise out residual makeup. Ensure you keep the base of your brush head completely dry as this can result in rust and the glue breaking down over time, causing the bristles to fall out.
2. Fill a small bowl with warm water and add a dollop of shampoo then swirl your brush in the mix. Gently massage the tips of the bristles into the palm of your hand working up lather.
3. Rinse your brush under running water until all the shampoo is rinsed off and the water runs clean.
4. Gently squeeze and reshape your brush using a clean towel or lint-free cloth.
5. Lay your brush to dry completely with the bristles hanging over the edge of a bench or counter top. This allows the air to circulate around them properly. Never leave your brushes to dry on a towel as this may cause mildew.
So everyone, there you have it! A worthwhile routine to adopt in your weekly beauty ritual! Remember to clean your brushes after you have done your makeup for the day or at night allowing them plenty of time to dry before their next use.
Do you have any tips or tricks of your own for keeping your makeup brushes squeaky clean? Let us know in the comments below!
RELATED – BEAUTY HOW-TO: EASY DIY BODY EXFOLIATOR
READ NEXT – BEAUTY HOW-TO: BEGINNER’S GUIDE TO FALSE LASHES