Long haul flights can be both exciting and stylistically challenging. I’m baffled by anyone who manages to look remotely attractive when they disembark. I usually look so disreputable there is some kind of first aid offer or a customs search. Celebrities have an unfair advantage travelling in first class luxury with sleeper seats, five star amenities, hot towels, salmon sashimi and protein shakes, but there must be an easier way to master airport chic.
After much research and reminiscing about what I’ve done wrong in the past, I present BWA’s list of plane essentials, our gallery of stylin celebs and for more check out our previous gallery:
- Water and lots of it! Staying hydrated is important inside and out.
- Deodorant. If not for you then for the person next to you.
- Noise reducing headphones. They help drown out the engine noise, as well as screaming babies, ensuring a more peaceful trip.
- Comfy ballet flats you can get on and off easily. It’s all about foot hygiene!
- Oversized cardigan. It will keep you warm onboard and help hide the Immaculate Conception that occurred somewhere between Bangkok and London. Food babies and bloating rate zero on the feel good factor.
- An iPad. Load it full of your favourite videos, books and music to get those endorphins flowing!
- A good book. Suggested alternative to Number 5.
- Oversized shirt or T-shirt to change into. No one should ever wear the same thing for 24hours without a shower.
- Face moisturizer. A lighter, oil-free one is best.
- Hand and body moisturizer. Aeroplane air has the tendency to leave your skin dry and scaly.
- Moisturizing lip gloss. You will need the moisturizing benefits onboard and the gloss will make you look less like a zombie when you arrive.
- Cleansing facial wipes. In one word: magic.
- Concealer. Never go anywhere without it.
- Toothbrush and toothpaste. They generally hand these out but you can never beat your own.
- Facial Spray. Something my mum taught me. A quick spritz will wake you up – especially if it gets you in the eye.
- Minimal make up supply. I would suggest not wearing any onboard but a bit of blush and mascara will help you look more like the person your friends and family are waiting for at the arrivals terminal.
- A hat or headscarf. I think celebrities look stupid wearing sunglasses inside the airport but one tip everyone should steal from them is covering up flat and greasy hair.
- I just realized I don’t have any pants on this list. For those of you taking the list literally, wear pants. It will be extremely difficult convincing the air steward to let you onboard without them. I recommend some comfy leggings.
1.Clinique Superbalm Moisturizing Lip Gloss $32.00 from Clinique.com.au 2. The Great Gatsby $9.95 from Penguin.com 3. Bose Noise Reducing Headphones US$299.95 from amazon.com 4. T by Alexander Wang classic pocketed jersey t-shirt £55.32 at netaporter.com 5. Ipad $629.00 from Apple.com 6. Country Road Leggings from $14.95 from Countryroad.com 7. Splendid draped jersey cardigan £73.91 at netaporter.com 8. Neutrogena Hand Cream $6.39 at epharmacy.com.au 9. Swisspapers Facial Cleansing Wipes $6.00 from Beautyheaven.com 10. Versace Miami Beach printed silk scarf £178.72 at netaporter.com 11. Evian Facial Spray: US$15.99 from beautyzip.com 12. Bobbi Brown Blush US$24 at bobbibrowncosmetics.com