In depressing news, a recent survey in the UK revealed that minor beauty mess-ups could potentially ruin your chances of getting a job.According to the beauty director of Debenhams (which is kind of like Myer), Sara Stern, “Your beauty regime holds the key to securing that dream job. They say it takes 30 seconds for interviewers to make their minds up about a candidate, but it could be down to a set of beauty blunders many people aren’t even aware of, that makes or breaks an interview.”
So which beauty blunders will put you in the “no thanks” pile, you ask? Well the good news is that if you really don’t want the job, there are loads of mistakes to choose from. The super-duper-good-news is that the survey not only listed where us poor misguided women are going wrong, but it also described exactly how each mistake will make us look.
– Chipped nails (It makes you look nervous and unprepared)
– Split ends (You’re lazy. Everyone knows split ends are code for “I nap at my desk”)
– Smudged mascara (You like to par-tay)
– Fake tan (You like holidaying)
– Bright red lipstick (You’re power crazy. Because if you can wear red lipstick, WHO KNOWS WHAT KIND OF EVIL YOU’RE CAPABLE OF?!)
– Heavily pencilled brows (Naturally this means you are too confident. And the last place you want confident people is at work)
– Overpowering perfume (You’re totally an attention seeker)
– Lipstick on teeth (You’re careless. First it’s lipstick on your teeth, next it’s forgetting to show up at work, then what??)
– No mascara (You’re an emotional wreck – you have obviously prepared for potential crying)
– Foundation line (Something about not paying attention to…what was I talking about? Oh hey, a bird!)
– Drawn on beauty spot (You’re a dirty liar. That beauty spot is a beauty spot of deceit)
I know. It’s hard to pick just one.
The truth of the matter is that if you want a job, you’ll put in the effort to impress the shiz out of your potential employer. And a few of these things could definitely make you appear careless. But there’s a lot on that list that should be filed under “Ridiculous” (red lipstick and split ends, I’m looking at you). But what makes it even harder is that this survey doesn’t let women win. It’s not just little mistakes like the above that could cost you a sought-after position – it’s looking too perfect as well. According to the survey, if you look flawless, you’re also going to look like you’re out to steal your boss’s job. Or in the words of The Daily Mail, “Even a woman appearing in immaculate makeup could ring alarm bells – telling the interviewer to watch out for their own job. This is a sign that the woman means business – and will probably be keen to grab any chance of promotion.” *Screams*
So what can we conclude from the above? Firstly, the key is to find a happy makeup medium when going to job interviews, which as can be seen, may not exist. Secondly, I am going to be unemployed for a very long time (what can I say? I just love me some drawn-on beauty spots)