If you’re anything like the majority of the population, you’ve probably lusted after gorgeous full lips at one stage or another. Whilst luscious lips have always been high on most ladies lust-list, we can thank jaw-dropping beauties such as Rosie Huntington Whitely for thrusting the bee-stung look back into prominence.
Whilst it’s possible to pop into your local cosmetic surgery and walk out with full lips in minutes, if you’re adverse to needles (and the cost!) of having your lips enhanced via injectables (and are wary of ending up with the dreaded “trout pout” – Exhibit A Donatella Versace,) then these simple tricks for boosting the look of your lips are for you!
You should also check out: BEAUTY HOW-TO: TIPS AND TRICKS FOR GROWING LONGER LASHES (NATURALLY!)
How to get fuller lips:
1. Exfoliation and brushing: Exfoliating your lips will stimulate blood flow and give your lips an instant smooth and plump look. You can use a lip exfoliator, but a soft toothbrush works great and you can do this as part of your morning routine. Follow this by applying mild, non-flavoured lip balm to restore moisture (essential for plumpness.)
2. White liner: To make lips pop, and to give the illusion of fuller lips in seconds, take a white eye pencil and very softly outline the outer rim of the lips (ie on the skin outside the lips). You can do only the top lip, but this technique can be applied the whole way around. Apply a very light line, then blend well with the finger to disguise. Follow up with lip liner, lipstick and gloss as normal. My favourite for this is Napoleon’s White On Eyeliner, available from ry.com.au.
3. Shadowing: Similarly to the white liner, it is possible to get the look of fuller lips through a simple shadow technique. Take a very soft taupe pencil or eyeshadow (something like this Clarins #8) and line the centre only of the outside of the bottom lip very lightly (then BLEND). This will make the lip look as if it is so full it is creating a shadow underneath. You can also dab a tiny amount of the same to the cupids bow. Only the tiniest amount is needed and blend, blend, blend.
4. Adding concealer: Adding a dab of concealer to the centre of both lips before blending and applying lipgloss will catch the light and give the instant illusion of fullness.
5. Home remedies: Irritating the lips through applying potent oils can also increase their size more permanently. Cayenne pepper can be mixed with water (blend to a thin paste) and applied for 10 mins. Peppermint oil applied straight to the lip or mixed with a plain lip balm will cause swelling for an instant pouty look. The most potent of all is cinnamon oil which causes great irritation to lips. It is essential to dilute the potency of cinnamon oil with a lip balm (adjust according to your tolerance!) Use this method only twice a week and this will make your lips naturally bigger and plumped.
6. Commercial lip plumping products: Lip plumpers have come a long way and can be used as your regular lipgloss with no discomfort or downside. My favourite commercial lip plumper (available from Priceline) is Lip Volume – by Transformulas $49,This is a fresh-smelling, minty gloss that is super-hydrating (so important to achieveing a pouty pout) Lip Volume locks in moisture stimulating lips and boosting the natural collagen for bigger more beautiful lips. This cult product feels like a balm, looks like a gloss and is clinically proven to increase lip size by up to 40%.
7. Lip Vacuums – YES, these products exist! Promising everything from line reduction, to fuller lips, enhanced cupid’s bows, reduced drooping and more, at-home lip vacuums are safe and pain free. Although you may feel a little silly using one. I have not tested this product, but will try to get my hands on one and report the outcome!
Worth reading! HOW TO BRING OUT THE BEST IN YOUR FACE SHAPE
Do you have any tips and tricks for achieving bigger lips, that you can do at home? We would LOVE to know about them, please leave your comments below (and earn BWA Dollars for doing so!)