Once reserved for only the most special of occasions, false lashes are now part of the everyday beauty routine for gazillions of women. It’s hard to resist the fluttery doe-eyed look, and why wouldn’t you want it for yourself if given half the chance?
With the silly season right around the corner, now is the opportunity for false lash virgins to legitimately dip their toe in the water without feeling like a whole new level of personal vanity has unfolded. So give it a go, the results will be worth it (and it is much easier than you think!)
Here are the six steps you need to follow to master the application of false lashes quickly and easily:
1. Treat your lashes as you normally would: Curl them using an eyelash curler (ideally use a heated curler for best results), and apply your favourite lengthening, separating mascara to help fan out your lashes.
2. Choose your style: With thousands of eyelashes on the market the hardest part is figuring out what style to go for! We are fans of ARDELL lashes, who make lots of different lashes to suit different occasions.
For day wear try ARDELL Natural Lashes #120 Demi in Black – A slightly graduated lash (shorter on the inside, longer on the outer corner) which are full, lengthy, and beautifully curved. These “must have” lashes are a perfect accent for everyday wear as they’re lightweight, reusable, easy-to-apply and give the desired, natural look of full, beautiful lashes. (Available from Priceline)
For night time try: ARDELL Glamour Lashes #105 in Black. ARDELL Glamour lashes are perfect for any special occasion or night on the town. These bold lashes give the desired, glamorous look of long, gorgeous lashes. (Available from Priceline)
3. Trim your falsies: Although there are countless lashes available, none are “one-size-fits-all”. Given that every eye is a different shape and size, you need to custom-size your false lashes to suit your lids. The length of your false lash should reach along roughly ¾ of the way along your lash line, so trim a little from the inner corner, as you want your outer lashes to have more volume.
4. Apply the glue and wait: For best results, once you apply the glue to the false lash, it will need to set slightly and become a little tacky before you attempt to stick it to your lid. Dot the glue onto the band of the false lash and wait for 40 to 50 seconds or until it becomes opaque before applying it to your lash line.
5. How to Apply to the actual lashes – USE TWEEZERS! Our fingers are too big and clumsy, so use tweezers to place the lashes onto your lids. You’ll have a more control and won’t damage your lashes.
ALREADY AN EXPERT? SEE BEAUTY HOW-TO: INDIVIDUAL LASHES
HELPFUL TIP: For the most natural look, concentrate the lashes at the outermost corner (think Bambi) and work your way in. Do not concentrate the false lashes at the inner corner (think Miss Piggy).
6. Removal: if you are careful with removal, you can re-use your lashes. Soak the lids in eye-makeup remover, and gently peel the lashes off with tweezers. Go slowly! Simply store the lashes in the box they came in, and that’s about it.
…. and VOILA!
How often does everyone wear their falsies? Are you a daily addict or do you pass altogether? If you have any tips or tricks of your own, we would love to hear about them, so please leave your comment below!