It is possible to spend a small fortune on bottles of hope and miracle creams only to be overlooking the primary rule in Beauty #101 – and that is: Hydration is the key to great skin and better health.
It is so easy to get eschewed into thinking that beauty only comes out of a jar, when in reality none of the lotions and potions in the world will do for our skin what the habit of good hydration will. So, with our skin being composed of approximately 20% water, start by moisturising your skin from within.
In addition to the visible benefits of good hydration, your body will also function a lot better, and that’s certainly not something to be sniffed at.
So read on for 8 reminders of why you ought to stay on top of the hydration game (not just in Summer, but always!):
FOR THE OUTSIDE:
1. Show off those wrinkles!! The best way to show off your wrinkles is by staying dehydrated. Er, no thanks! It is a fact that dried-out skin illuminates wrinkles and causes skin to lose overall elasticity faster than it would normally. Re-energise your skin with a hydrated body and notice the plumping effect after a very short time.
2. If you are chronically dehydrated, your skin will age very quickly and wrinkles and lines will appear deeper in the long term. Give it a couple of years, and you could develop rashes and eczema. Think of a beautiful dewy rainforest alive and bright, then think of a dry cracked desert-scape. Do you need more convincing?
3. Dehydration means toxins can’t be eliminated as easily. We perspire around one cup of liquid per day, and this process helps to flush blemish-causing toxins away. When we’re chronically dehydrated, the sweat becomes more concentrated, impairing the flushing out of toxins and leading to skin disorders.
FOR THE INSIDE:
4. Dehydration can cause mental sluggishness and lead to lethargy – beauty is inside and out! You want to be sharp as a whip, not forgetting your own name. Be sure to top up your hydration levels before an important meeting, an exam or any time when you need to enhance your mental abilities and concentration. For some, this may be before the opening bell of the Black Friday sales, when strategy and tactics are key.
FYI: Even a 2% drop in hydration can affect you physically and intellectually and slow down mental recall. There is evidence that lack of water can have more serious, long term consequences such as neurological implications and depression.
5. Weight Loss – Staying hydrated is one of the most important factors in losing weight and keeping it off! Topping up your body with electrolytes first thing in the morning combats dehydration and helps to fight hunger cravings. Many people often confuse hunger with dehydration, so take a drink before picking up that unhealthy afternoon snack!
6. Fluid Retention: Staying hydrated with water-based beverages is the best treatment for fluid retention. The best way to overcome the problem of water retention is to give your body what it needs – plenty of water.
7. Lack of hydration in the body can cause backaches, as the muscles in the body do not perform properly unless the body has sufficient water intake. One of the most common causes of headaches is lack of proper hydration.
8. Digestive System: Staying well-hydrated can assist in keeping your colon healthy and this may reduce the risk of colon cancer. Studies have shown that women who drink more than 5 glasses of water a day had a risk of colon cancer 45% less than those that drank less than two.
So if you’re getting sick of just drinking water, you’re not alone! Recently, I was given the opportunity to sample the new OVI Hydration beverages before they officially launched, and I have to say I am now converted. Created with a balance of water, natural minerals, sugar, fruit juice and natural flavours with antioxidants from green tea, OVI has been designed to keep you hydrated the healthy way with no ‘badditives.’ They come in the three flavours; Citrus, Peach and Berry (Citrus being my personal favourite).
Brought to you in collaboration with OVI Hydration